's / BEATON'S
The first known store in the village was that of
. It was recorded in the
1861 Census and shown on the 1863 Lake map (1,2). Donald was noted as an agent for the
Cloth Mills in January 1864 but was absent from the July listing of the same year (14,15) The store
was located on the southwest corner of the main road and the
road. The store was
probably also the location of the post office as Donald was described in the 1864 Hutchison's
Directory as running a general store and post office (3). Donald died in July 1866 and the store
which was owned by
(Donald's father) was noted as being run by
1870 and 1871 (4,5,6,). No mention is made in the
of a store at this
corner again until 1889/90 (7). In the spring of 1871
with granary and barn for lease (61). Presumably Albert Morrow, who subsequently purchased the
property next door, took the lease and opened his harness shop. Albert was noted as running a
harness shop at this location in 1880 (32).
was noted in 1886 as a merchant in
and Frederick's Directory of
1889/90 listed him as a general merchant (7,8). His store was located in the same building that
had used and probably the same one in which
had previously operated their shop. Samuel and his wife
owners of the property in 1889 (Catherine may have inherited from her family). In October of that
year they sold it to
, a trader in
, for $250 (56). In 1901
purchased the property back from
The store was operated by
until he sold it to his son
November 9th 1923. The sale included all stock in trade, book accounts, goods, implements,
furniture, carriages and utensils and livestock about the store and hotel premises, except one white
and red cow, one mare called '
', one Ford car, a rubber "tyred" wagon and a sleigh.
James was to pay his father $200 per year for the rest of his natural life (10).
In approximately 193 5 a
ran this store for a couple of years. His occupancy was
who continued it in operation until a few years before it was torn
down to make way for
's first gas station (30). The property was sold in 1954 to
, who built the station (11,54).
Importer and Dealer in Merchandise and Country Produce.
.TERMS: All accounts settled ist
'r. '?. ■?., JL*~= iOt~ /<?<?/
Copy of invoices from
Store 1900 & 1901 -------------------------ZTj--------------------------